Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tony Iommi - Iron Man

If you call yourself a Black Sabbath fan then you should want to read this, but if you're a super fan like myself then you don't really need to read this.

What I'm saying is, I didn't learn too many new things about BS. Sure it was interesting to read about how afraid of ghosts Mr. Iommi is and about him having "out of body experiences". But I was looking forward to something a little more revealing. Some real dirt. Reading the tour stories was fun. All the pranks he pulled on Bill Ward. All the drugs he did. All the women he married. I did learn that Geezer is actually responsible for the riffs in some of my favorite Sabbath songs though.

But I think the real issue is that Ozzy beat him to the punch when he released I Am Ozzy last year. I'd already read about the Ozzy era. So Iron Man was just confirming the stories for me.

When it came to the Post-Ozzy era, he seemed to just breeze over each album. He only wrote maybe a page and a half on the TYR album. He even admits to not really remembering much about the making of that album.

Overall it's still definitely worth reading. Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath and you'll finish the book knowing that without a doubt.

Can't wait for the RJD biography.

2 comments: