Monday, January 2, 2012

Icons of Men's Style


My lovely wife bought me this book for x-mas. I was stoked b/c it wasn't even on my radar. It's a very well designed and researched book on, well, icons of men's style. The book has a great, clean layout and it's printed on nice stock. My only design/production gripe is that they didn't shingle it correctly and hence the edges of the pages have uneven margins, but no one else gives a fuck about book shingling... Anyway.
The book is broken down into different sections like Outerwear, Accessories, etc. And each chapter highlights different iconic pieces such as the trench coat, bomber jacket, harrington, aviators, and so on and so forth. The cool thing is that the author gives you the history behind each sartorial selection as well as examples of who and how they've been worn through the years. He highlights iconic pieces that have stood the test of time. There are no fads in here. These are all classics. An interesting point he makes is that men are often more focused on style, where as women are often more focused on fashion. I think that's often very true and explains why women have to throw out their wardrobe and buy another pair of black boots every year; where as men hopefully fine one pair they like and wear them till they fall apart.
Having said that, that's also why my closet gets fuller and fuller and how I end up w/ enough shoes and jackets to wear a different one each day of the month; I rarely throw anything away.
This book is tight and well worth a read if you're a male and you think James Dean, Michael Caine, and Steve McQueen knew a thing or two about threads.



No comments:

Post a Comment