Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thinking with Type


You're not gonna care about this one, but I sure as hell did. This is hands down the best typography book I've ever read.

This book is almost perfect. It's fantastic for novice designers to pro's. If I were teaching a typography class I would definitely make this required reading. There are certain parts I want to scan and send to Editors and Writers at work...but that would be...errr...rude? Whatever. As a designer you can really relate to this. It's casual and personal, yet it's theory driven and academic. It strikes a great conversational tone and you can just fly through it. Of course the book is a living example of what it's discussing and its killer layout just helped to bolster credibility as you read the contents. The layout is top class. It's simply the definitive book on designing with type.

You can buy it here. And this is the website for the book. I'll definitely nerd-out on that site later.

I'm not really gonna go into everything this book contains because you can surf over to Amazon on the book's site (both linked above) to get the gist. I won't say anything they won't say. In fact, they'll say a lot more. The important thing is that this book is a great shot in the arm. It helps to reestablish classic principles you already know as well as introduce you to at least a couple new things you weren't hip to before. And if you're a super nerd then you can check out all the books Ellen references throughout Thinking with Type. I like where she's coming from when she drops shit like Tufte's "Envisioning Information" or Tschichold's "Die Neue Typographie." Dig it, brothers and sisters.



No comments:

Post a Comment