Sunday, January 15, 2012

30 Days of Night


Once again, my esteemed Norse connection let me borrow another graphic novel I've been interested in reading. However, this time I was a bit let down, unfortunately.

I thought the plot was pretty unique. I dug the concept. But I really didn't think the art or the dialog brought a whole lot to the table. This could have been gruesome, but I don't think that Templesmith's artistic style was the best match for the subject matter. The characters looked different from page to page. It's a wash of expressionistic watercolor which is cool on a frame-by-frame basis, but I feel doesn't work for this whole book. It was sort of surreal and nightmarish, but I still would have preferred something a bit more straightforward or varied.

The dialog was pretty forgettable, but the worst offender was the denouement. It was such an anti-climactic final third. It just sort of deflated. I thought maybe someone ripped some pages out of the book...

Although it's rarely the case, I could see this being an instance where the film is actually better than the book. Maybe I'll watch it later this year to see. I heard it was pretty good.

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading this. It's a very quick read. I just wouldn't go out of your way to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the movie when it came out. I never know what you'll think of a movie cuz you're so odd.

    Haven't watched it since it came out though. My opinion could use some refreshing. Maybe I'll give it another viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, by the end of 2012 you'll be able to predict if i dig something or not. of the 100 movies i watched last year, i pretty much dug 97% of them. i know what i like before i go in to something so it saves me watching shit i don't like. same w/ music. you don't listen to country music cuz you know you don't like the genre. i stay away from movies that i can easily prejudge as being crap i wouldn't' enjoy.
    for the record, i give comic adaptations a lot more leeway on certain things than if it wasn't from a comic. example: the Punisher films. obviously they're cheesy and that cheese would normally be unacceptable, BUT since the source material is of the same ilk then it gets a free pass.

    ReplyDelete