Thursday, January 12, 2012

the Alchemist


Cool title. Shit book.

I really wanted to end the review there, but I'll go on and tell you why it's shit...

This is the kind of book that people will call "life-changing." These are the same people who read the Secret or who took a Da Vinci Code tour of the Louvre. Whoever thinks this is "life-changing" is probably only one step above Twilight fans in the evolutionary ladder. Fuck Lemony Snicket, Twilight, Harry Potter and all that young-adult garbage. Anyway, the Alchemist novel might be better than the graphic novel; I don't know. I read the graphic novel and it's immediate benefit is that it's mercifully shorter than the novel. So it's got that going for it.

I'm not even gonna tell you what it's about. Just read the description from Amazon and tell me if you'd want to read it: "...The Alchemist is the magical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure as extravagant as any ever found... The story of the treasures Santiago finds along the way teaches us, as only a few stories have done, about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, learning to read the omens strewn along life's path, and, above all, following our dreams."

Someone shoot me. The book is filled with mystic shit about the universe all being one and everyone getting along. Jesus even makes a cameo.

But something that really set me off was the amount of typo's. These damn thing needed a decent Editor and Art Director on the case. They even used Papyrus. 

You're probably wondering why I read this damn thing? It was a gift, and the gift-giver has apologized profusely. Apology accepted.

Here are a couple alchemical songs that walk the left hand path...



3 comments:

  1. Yeah, it doesn't seem like something A. Awn would normally read. I hope the gift-giver feels really bad.

    ReplyDelete