Sunday, January 15, 2012

the Artist


We just got back from watching the Artist. I literally hadn't even heard of it until we were on our way to go see it. It ruled pretty hard.

It was directed by Michel Hazanavicius and officially came out in 2011. It's a French silent film about silent film actors in 1920s/30's Hollywood dealing with love, loss, and the transition from the Silent Era to the Talkies. I wasn't particularly smitten with it right off the bat, but I found myself being won round and getting pretty invested in the characters. Particularly Jean Dujardin's mustache and his Jack Russell. Both of which are the stars of the film. Looking at Bérénice Bejo for 90 minutes wasn't any real hardship either. I look forward to whatever else she does in the future. Both the leads did a great job, to be honest. It was a fantastic pairing. Malcolm McDowell even makes a cameo.

It's a love story. It's a movie about movies. It's French. It's got a great wardrobe and a clever soundtrack. It's got a super hot chick and a sweet mustache. You know I dig this flick.



2 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything you said. Loved the dog. He reminded me of Jones.

    I thought the ending was weird though. It got all dramatic when he was about to blow his brains out, then the broad came in and he was all better. Next thing you know he's tap dancing.

    Still really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, talk about a spoiler alert. i hope no one is actually reading this other than me or you...

    ReplyDelete