Saturday, January 7, 2012

Solomon Kane


"Follow along Kane's restless travels with pistol and rapier as he is compelled to be a weapon of God, ridding the world of evil wherever it may be found -- from the jungles of Africa to the high seas, and whether cannibal, demon, vampire, or pirate!"


I've read all the Solomon Kane stories by Robert E. Howard and I absolutely loved them! So I was pretty excited to read through all his adventures in comic form and I was not disappointed. A lot of these short stories appeared in issues of Kull the Destroyer and Conan the Barbarian back in the day.


Kane is brutal in his battles against all that is evil, from Satanic cults to Dracula himself. The dude is one violent and pissed off Christian! He resists all temptation when he rescues a beautiful naked young woman hanging from a tree by a rope in "Castle of the Devil". He then turns his repressed desire into rage towards all of Satan's spawns!


Although these stories deal a lot with supernatural things, these aren't as Sword & Sorcery as the Conan Adventures. All his tales take place in "the real world".


There was a movie made about the angry puritan in 2009 that's never been released in the U.S. I've seen the dvd on Amazon but it's in region 2 format. It stars James Purefoy and Maz Von Sydow. I keep waiting for a U.S. release.
The only song from the U.K. doom metal band Solomon Kane. Recorded live in 1983. Supposedly they are back together working on new material. Definite Sabbath worship.

3 comments:

  1. Bad Eye let me borrow an issue before. I didn't dig it. I thought it was just OK. Can't remember why. Uppity pilgrim.
    I'd watch the film, though. Looks more engrossing than the comics, to me.
    I freakin love Conan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duuude, he's way more than an uppity pilgrim. He's no more uppity than any other superhero fighting "evil" due to whatever moral code he has. You're just hating cuz he's a christian. Robert E. Howard. n'uff said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it has nothing to do w/ his religious beliefs. it just didn't do it for me. that period...that hat... i dunno.

    ReplyDelete