Monday, April 2, 2012

Melancholia

What a miserable thing to not be able to feel joy. It depresses me to think about being depressed. But I also want to tell depressed people to get over it.

This was a beautiful movie. I felt in a trance at times. My lack of sympathy for those suffering from depression makes me more interested in the visual artistry of this film than the main story line. Two sisters that have melancholia just like their mother...eh. That being said I do think Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg were awesome in this film.

Similar to Another Earth, I wanted to know more about the underlying story. I wanted to know about this new planet headed for a collision with earth. Is that called something? For movies to have an underlying story that's way more interesting than the main one? Pan's Labyrinth was like that. It ended right as it was getting good.

You need to check this out if you haven't already. It's never as jarring as Antichrist but equally heavy with feminism.


1 comment:

  1. i actually added it to the queue two days ago per Marie's request. good to hear it was worth watching.

    ReplyDelete