Friday, April 20, 2012

Life After Django Reinhardt


Watch this. It's only an hour long. It's well worth it.

Don't know if you listen to Django Reinhardt, but if not then you need to right that wrong. I was actually introduced to him by a dude I started talking to at Cliff Bell's one time. We were at a jazz show and this dude started talking to us about our favorite jazz musicians. We started talking about guitarist and I said I was a big Grant Green fan. He said I needed to peep Django. I did, and I was blown away.

This is a French documentary about Django's legacy in France. It's essentially introducing you to the preeminent guitarists who carry the torch for the late Reinhardt and keep his music and style alive.

It doesn't go into too much history. It's not a comprehensive bio by any means, but it's still cool. It's honestly more about the music than the man. Which is in keeping with Django's vibe anyway.

I love the passion by which these mustachioed old French men discuss Django's music. It's poetic, passionate and honest. I think it's really important that they all seem to recognize that Django's music is important, but finding their OWN voice is just as important. That's lost on too many people today. These guys are honoring his legacy but still trying to carve their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment