Monday, April 16, 2012

In Cold Blood

I read that it took Capote about 6 years to research and write this classic true crime novel.  Moving back and forth between the victims, the murderers and the law. It reads like fiction. You get to know all the key players quite well. And while you expect to feel some of the terror the victims felt, you don't expect to feel bad for the murderers...only to a certain degree though.

Killers loose on American highways. Thinking they got away with murder. They have dreams but the only means they have of achieving them is to be criminals. One is the brains and one is the brawn. Suspicion, fear and paranoia drive them apart, yet they have no one else left to turn to.

This is probably the best true crime novel I've ever read. That says a lot, as it's one of my favorite genres.
I'm definitely going to check out the film version of ICB, as well as the film Capote. I highly recommend this book.




2 comments:

  1. good review! i'd like to borrow this for sure. Capote is a good flick for sure. i bet this is like a stylistic precursor to Larson's stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually was thinking the same thing in regards to Larson.

    ReplyDelete