Friday, February 24, 2012

Steve Jobs


Last night I finished the behemoth tome you see pictured above. Steve Jobs. What a dude.

It's close to 600 pages and I could have read another 300 easily. It's a fascinating book that really follows Steve from one revolution to the next. It's incredibly insightful and very well written. Steve, as per normal, didn't pick a dud when he chose Walter Isaacson to write his bio. He hounded Walter to do it and gave him unrestricted access to himself as well as anyone else he could possibly want to interview to get the goods for this book. In fact, Steve didn't even want to read it before it was published. It wasn't supposed to be some sugar-coated bullshit to boost his ego. It's a riveting true story about a motherfucking genius.

I really took a lot away from the book as it relates to my art and my career. It's inspirational, but not in an Oprah book club kinda way. More like in a gnarly counterculture fuck you I won't tolerate anything but the best out of myself and my company type of way. He's a measuring stick for integrity. But he's also flawed as hell. And the duality is clearly recounted in this book. It's not all roses.

I'd recommend this book to anyone with eyes.
But moreover, I'd consider it essential reading to anyone in business.

Steve was the man. It actually bums me out to see his picture. I feel a genuine loss that's he gone after reading this book. I think the world honestly lost someone great who will be remembered in the same league as Henry Ford.

I'm not gonna go into what Apple has meant to me, my art and my career. I'm hungry and I need to finish this post without getting carried away. But the bastards better come out with the new iMac asap. I want to upgrade to the 27"already. C'mon, Tim, it's overdue! Chop chop, get those Foxconn workers on it double-quick.


2 comments:

  1. I want to read this. Trade ya Dirty Deeds for it. My pile of books to read is getting bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. done deal. you read Northlanders yet? probably not, or you would have reviewed it. i'll watch this space, i guess. i picked up a Ghost Rider trade yesterday and read it. I'll review it soon. i just bought 10 dark horse conan trades on amazon. haha. i'm stoked.
    if you search my name and "wish list" you'll see all the stuff i want to buy on amazon. i will never catch up! check it out. you should set up a wish list, too.

    ReplyDelete