Wednesday, February 8, 2012

NEDS

I just watched NEDS, and would you bloody believe that there's no way to turn the subtitles off even with the DVD?! It's like a conspiracy against me. I found it pretty distracting at times to read the English subtitles when I can understand everything they're saying. Granted, unless you've spent any considerable time in Scotland this movie would seem like the actors came from another planet. (The subtitles weren't always accurate, either.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Immediate comparison to This is England, which I would definitely give the edge to. But still, this was top class. A pretty good performance from most of the cast. Normally I hate child actors, but these guys pulled it off. 

While I never got caught up in knife fights or otherwise hospitalizing other kids, this is a very accurate portrayal of Glasgow youth culture. The side I stayed away from as much as possible. Fortunately it doesn't represent everyone, but it's rampant and pretty saddening. The fucked up part is how young these idiots are who are walking around with shivs, just looking to stab anyone for no reason. Doesn't matter who you are, if there's a half dozen wide-o's looking to rumble, they'll make it happen.

A couple other British flicks you might want to look into are This Sporting Life and If.... They're both by Lindsay Anderson and If.... features none other than Malcolm McDowell in the lead. The former is a kitchen sink drama and the latter is a more art house school boy rebellion flick. Definitely recommended. And both easier to understand than NEDS. 

Also, if you want some real bleak kitchen sink shit then check out Nil By Mouth by Gary Oldman. I have all these on DVD btw if you need to borrow them. I'd suggest both Anderson films first, but if you want some self-masochistic realism then watch Nil By Mouth.

Back to NEDS: I liked the story, pacing and editing. It's definitely not half bad and anyone reading this other than you (Hammer of Doom) could do no wrong by adding it to their Netflix queue. 

Y'know the beginning when they're showing how the teachers are? That's accurate down to a T. 
Teachers in Scotland are maniacs. 








1 comment: