Friday, February 24, 2012

Elite Squad (2007) & Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010)

Oh man, this is what gritty, action-packed, true crime dramas are all about. I didn't even feel like I was watching a movie at times. It felt more like a documentary about a different planet. That's how far removed our worlds are from the one in these movies.

I started watching Elite Squad: The Enemy Within before I realized it was a sequel. And although it's obviously better to watch them in order, I don't feel it took anything away from my enjoyment of the films.
Both movies were great but I thought the second film was the best. It had a larger budget and a better look in my opinion. The violence in these movies was graphic and ruthless. Like I said before, I felt like I was watching actual footage of these things happening. 

The pace is pretty fast throughout both films. Lots of fast dialogue and small but important characters, so you really need to pay attention. I'm guessing the subtitle translation isn't completely accurate at times but that's a minor complaint.

Obvious comparisons are to City of God, The Departed and every inner-city gang style movie yada yada.

The sequel is streaming on Netflix but you'll have to order the dvd of the first one.

1 comment:

  1. hot damn, i wish they were both streaming. added them to my queue. that looks excellent! i have bus 174 if you want to borrow that, too.
    damn, this looks real good. i dig the exaggerated saturated colors.

    ReplyDelete