Sunday, February 5, 2012

Being Elmo


I didn't even know Elmo was red. I thought he was blue.

Well, unless you consider him black.

Marie heard an interview on NPR with Kevin Clash, the puppeteer behind Elmo, a while back. She said the movie sounded interesting so we checked it out at the DFT last night.

I'll pretty much see anything at the DFT because they have the best curator in town. I'd wager to say one of the best in the country. And Being Elmo was no disappointment. It wasn't terribly well done, it seemed somewhat low-budget to be honest, but the story was well told. Kevin was engaging and he seemed like a really genuine, nice dude. As bizarre as it sounds, he's been passionate about creating puppets ever since he was a little kid growing up in Baltimore. Even when kids would bully him for it. He should have been playing ball or whatever. He was just into puppets. Whatever floats your boat.

The film shows how he simply stuck to his guns, followed his dreams, and insert any other cliched lines you want...and ended up as an integral part of Sesame Street. He had the desire and managed to make it a reality. He was mentored by his idols and now he's carrying Jim Henson's torch.

I dunno why but it was a pretty emotional ride. I think it's cuz Kevin seems so selfless.

I wouldn't run out and see this, but I'd throw it on your queue and check it out some time when you're feeling in a documentary mood about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Like I said, I thought Elmo was blue.


1 comment: