Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rosemary's Baby


I just finished Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. Marie had an old edition from 1968 kicking around the house so I thought I'd check it out.

It's a bummer reading it when you know what's gonna happen. It loses the thrill of the plot unfolding when you know damn well who's in on the conspiracy, but whatever. It's a good read nonetheless. It's really quick and accessible.

I really dig the design of the book cover. And the original poster (with the type at the bottom) is one of my all time favorite posters. I almost bought an original for $195 or so a while back. I thought that was a fair price. It's a fucking awesome poster and an incredible film.

Reading this book in the 60's would have been a trip. It's a callous and terrifying premise for a novel. The book builds at a pretty slow pace but starts to gain and gain towards the latter half as the pieces of the puzzle start slotting together. Levin puts in the work up front and it really helps for the pay-off in the end. It's a bleak ending, but really pretty satisfying. I think endings are the hardest part for any author to get right, but Rosemary's Baby nails it pretty well.

Again, I don't have to say much on this. You've seen the movie, now read the book. It's quick and it's worth it.


2 comments:

  1. always felt the need to read this and the Exorcist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read the exorcist in high school..i remember thinking it was creepy. but then again i was 15...anyway, i don't remember it that well, but i think the movie is one of the scariest movies i've ever seen. scary as in bone chilling, not BOO! :)

    ReplyDelete