Saturday, January 5, 2013

Two Things...



First, like the Prez, I joined the great unwashed masses to check out the new film by my favorite director. Simply put, Django Unchained was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. In my opinion, this is Tarantino's best movie since Kill Bill I, and you could even argue it was his best since Pulp Fiction. Django Unchained was the movie that Inglorious Basterds should have been.  Like all of Tarantino's films, the dialogue and banter between the characters was incredibly entertaining and well written. I think this was easily his best scripted film since Pulp Fiction. Not only did the writing shine through, but this film was fundamentally successful on every level, especially the acting. Christoph Waltz gave the best performance I've seen by any actor in a long time. Samual L. Jackson played his best role (and played it superbly!) since Jules Winnfield. And for the first time in my life I was actually impressed Dicaprio!

A couple side notes, without giving too much away, I loved that Dicaprio's character was a Francophile much like myself, who can't speak a word of French. 

And,  was I the only one that thought Rick Ross was rapping about needing a 100 black golfers?

Finally, I think you could make the recommendation on seeing this film based on the Tupac and James Brown mashup alone.



Second, to finish up my 'best of posts', here is what I consider to be some of the best songs I listened to in 2012. Enjoy it here.



5 comments:

  1. I'll have to watch both Kill Bill's again in 2013 b/c I thought they were far and away the low-spot in Tarantino's career. But I'll probably be pleasantly surprised on a re-watch. I haven't seen them since they came out in the theatre.

    I'm almost personally insulted that you're suggesting Inglorious Basterds failed on ANY level, or didn't live up to its potential. But that's probably how you feel regarding my nonchalant attitude towards the Kill Bill's.

    DiCaprio blows me away b/c as an actor I feel he transcends his celebrity and BECOMES the character on screen. I never see Leo, I always see his character. I think he's brilliant.

    Jackson was so damn good in this. Such a killer cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DiCaprio, Jackson and Waltz were all incredible. I'm not loyal to any director more than I am to QT.

    Side note: Death Proof is my least favorite. Sorry Prez I know you're a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no love for Death Proof? i can watch that mofo over and over. i have a GREAT freakin book on the Grindhouse double-feature from rodriguez and tarntino. even the book gets me psyched. i love the visuals, the music, and the cars in that movie. i'm getting psyched right now just looking at the spine of the fucking book. hands down the best car chases ever filmed. better than bullitt.

    tarntino needs to go on a diet, though. that's something i think we can all agree on. he's looking more like kevin smith meets jay leno every day. he's gonna have to buy a second seat on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how come nobody mentioned jamie foxx? i thought he was the star of the show...christoph waltz was a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie Foxx WAS freakin awesome. gotta agree. tarantino assembled a brilliant cast and got excellent performances out of each one of them.

    ReplyDelete