Thursday, January 3, 2013

Le Matin's Best of 2012 List...

So I'm obviously new to this blog, and I thought posting a best of 2012 list would be a good way for people to get a gauge on my interests. I'm sure my tastes will be similar to everyone else on this blog, but hopefully different enough to make it interesting.

 

Best Movies I saw in 2012 (in no particular order) 
Bellflower 
The Raid: Redemption
Killer Joe
Prometheus (yes, yes,  I know it's flawed at best, but...)
Moonrise Kingdom
13 Assassins
Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil
Drive
[REC]
Cabin in the Woods

Best Song
"Become What You Are" by Merchandise

Best Album
Best complete album easily is "Bloom" by Beach House.  Choose any song from this album, they're all amazing. 

Best Metal Album
"Sorrow and Extinction" by Pallbearer
 
Best Show
M83 at The Majestic Theater
Out of all the shows I've ever been too, other than Yann Tiersen, I think this may have been the best  group of musicians I've ever seen share a stage together. Technically, they were spot on. Truly remarkable. 


Best Meal
Going out to eat is one of my favorite things to do. I've had the pleasure of eating and drinking in a lot of great restaurants this year. I recently returned from NYC, where I ate at several of the best restaurants in the city and came back somewhat underwhelmed. That said, I had the best meal of the year in Detroit. I really feel that the Metro Detroit food scene, which has always been solid, is coming into its own.  There are so many new cool restaurants, that I have a hard time keeping up. The best meal I had in 2012 was the House Aged New York Strip with roasted marrow, pickles & horseradish, accompanied by a side of spinach & feta au gratin at Roast. It's hard to be impressed by a New York strip, but this dish transcends a what a steak is supposed to be. Granted, the two cocktails I had might have helped out some!

Best Book 
Zone One By Colson Whitehead 


Best Television Show
I think we are in the 'new' golden age of television. In a lot of ways TV has the potential to surpass film. The writing and production for TV gets better and better, that combined with rewarding story arcs and charterer development have led to a lot compelling TV watching. A "show" that I really enjoyed watching that not a lot of people may not have had a chance to watch, was the BBC's Sherlock. My favorite episode (it's more like a movie) of the series was "A Scandal in Belgravia". For frame of reference my favorite series are Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Girls, and Workaholics, to name a few.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! i've added a couple of those flicks to my netflix queue, as well as Sherlock. i'll give it a whirl at lunch time at work or something. i've had bellflower on my list for a while but just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

    not feeling the music, but marie's all over it.

    lookin' forward to more reviews. i might even get in on some restaurant reviews, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the first episode of Holmes, you should dig it. It's streaming from Netflix.

      Delete
  2. nice name, frenchie. :) keep the music coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The name has special meaning to me...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etLa1xipu0g

      Delete