Friday, January 4, 2013

Art & Copy


As an Art Director watching a film about Art Directors, I  have a slightly skewed perspective on this film. I showed it at work today to the team and I think we all had similar vibes...

I have heightened expectations about what it is and what it should cover, which get in the way of enjoying it for what it is. It's a documentary about Advertising first and foremost. It gets inside the walls of some of the biggest Ad Agencies in NY and SF. The scope is very specific. It doesn't get into method at all. It's always a 50,000 ft view of how certain ads came about. No deep dive on anything. It's cool to hear about Apple's "1984" ad, for instance.

The film just seems to skim the surface and that's why I'm a bit ambivalent about it. On the one hand, I dig it because it's about my career and it's always interesting to see and hear from famous designers. On the other hand, it doesn't offer much other than some tidbits. Some sound-bites. There's nothing truly revelatory or mind-blowing here. I think Helvetica (the doc) does a much better job, for instance. That was a lot more in-depth and visceral.

If you're in the Advertising or Design field then I definitely suggest watching this. It's worth the 90 minutes. If you're not, it's still worth seeing but I just don't know what you'll really get out of it. I'd actually like someone who's not a designer to see it and lemme know they're unbiased opinion. Maybe it's better than I'm letting on...

No comments:

Post a Comment