Sunday, March 11, 2012

Iron Man


What a surprise, I read another bio.

I'll keep this one short since Hammer of Doom already reviewed it. Said gentleman was kind enough to trade me Iron Man for Devil in the White City (which I hope he is currently enjoying). I thought this was good, but just as H_o_D said, it's nowhere near as good as Ozzy's.

I felt like this was kind of like reading a book of, "This one time when I was at band camp..." stories all strung together. It's 90 odd chapters long and each one is only a few pages long, like a Dan Brown novel. Only Dan Brown novels have plots. This was entertaining and I'm glad I read it, but it didn't feel like a cohesive narrative, but instead just a bunch of stories told one after another. And by that I mean that you could probably skip every fourth or fifth chapter and not have it affect your comprehension of the book or story.

Black Sabbath fans should read it. No doubt, but do yourself a favor and read Ozzy's first. While Tony is a way fuckin cool dude, Ozzy's book is just so much more compelling. Clearly he can afford a better ghost writer or "contributor" or whatever they're called.

The best bits of the book were when Tony was being introspective and giving you insight into his head. All the other stuff about drugs and albums and shit can be put together with internet research of through interviews and other peoples' accounts. But the true value is in finding out what Tony thinks about things. Not the technical crap.

At times I identified with Tony. I did feel a little kinship, I ain't gonna lie. But anyway...I like Tony's 70's mustache a lot better than his current mustache.

I need to check out the later Sabbath stuff with all the post Dio singers. That's just part of the catalog I never gave much thought to. But you know what, I don't think anything after the first six hold a fucking candle to those records. There's a huge line drawn in the sand right after Sabotage. I'll get rotten fruit thrown at me for saying that, but whatever. I'm not gonna get into that here because this is about Tony's book, not Bill Ward's tepid drumming on post Sabotage records, Ozzy's phoned-in vocals or Tony's more generic non-bluesy riffs. ;)

Yeah, read this if you love Sabbath. It's worth the time.

Nice shirt, Ozzy.

Always loved this shot. That's a lot of hair. Like freakin pirates of Birmingham.

Alpine white with gold hardware and triple humbuckers. Nice one, Tony.

Aged like a fine wine.

1 comment:

  1. Headless Cross and Tyr both have Tony Martin on vocals and Cozy Powell on drums and are definitely worth checking out. Also I'd recommend Born Again if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete