Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blood and Gold

Anne Rice is my favorite author. Been reading her books since junior high and I've never been disappointed by any of them. She is so descriptive, I don't think any other author draws me in like she does.

This is another book in The Vampire Chronicles, so it's tied in to her classics like Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. In Blood & Gold she tells the story of Marius, one of the most ancient vampires. It's a very historical, fantastical and romantic story...as are all of her stories. 

Marius lives in pagan Rome, witnesses the rise of the strange new cult called christianity and battles with a satanic coven of vampires. He suffers the loss of all his loved ones after he is burned to a black husk. He is the guardian of Those Who Must Be Kept. He is thousands of years old. 

If you've never read any of the other VCs you could still start with this one, but I wouldn't recommend it. Start at the beginning with Interview. I really feel the need to go back and start at the beginning too after reading this one.

I can let you borrow them obviously.

1 comment:

  1. i believe you. but just not a genre i want to get into right now... i do have Mary Shelly's Frankenstein on deck, though... if i want vampires i know where to go!

    ReplyDelete