Sunday, March 11, 2012

Drive


I really dug this. It was unusual.

My friend Jill has never steered me wrong when it comes to film or music. She's advised me on many occasions over the years and once again she came through. From Ghostface Killah to Jenny Lewis and from documentaries about cinematography to Drive. Being from Chicago she got to see this in the theatre before it came to Detroit. She saw it and raved about it and I only now got around to checking it out, but I'm glad I did.

Pickle had said it reminded him of Taxi Driver and there was certainly some accuracy to that comparison. Ryan Gosling plays an anti-hero not unlike Travis Bickle. The two characters are handled differently, but there's a common thread. I think Taxi Driver is one of the 10 greatest films ever made and there's no contest when it comes to the two, BUT Pickle wasn't off base with the influence. There was certainly a nod to Bullitt when the Mustang and the Chrysler 300 got into a chase together. And it certainly felt a little like Death Proof at times. It definitely drew on good stock.

But the real differentiating factor was the music and the aesthetic of the film. It was wholeheartedly and unabashedly a product of its time. Sure there were some classic cars and some retro cool, but it felt very current. There's always a spotlight on the timeless style of icons like Steve McQueen. Their legacy is indelible. But the movie was honest and current. It's hard for me to really articulate this, and I really don't care to spend time on it cuz it's after midnight and I'm tired...but the point is that the movie had its own point of view and that was important.

There was one scene that reminded me of a scene in Irreversible, but don't let that stop you from watching it. It's nowhere nearly as graphic.

Marie is probably buying the soundtrack right now. I felt like it was one big music video to her. I don't think she minded watching Gosling drive around in shades and brown leather driving gloves too much, either.

This was cool. But as much as I've just praised it, when it comes down to it I didn't think it was AS fucking amazing as everyone's going on about. It was really tight, but so far of all the new movies I've seen in 2012 I'd give the nod to Red State or the Artist over this.

Whatever. Everyone should watch it. It was still great.




3 comments:

  1. i loved this movie...and i think i probably loved it more than alex. sorry, i don't agree...i liked this way more than the artist. it made me feel more. it felt real and it felt like a dream...and a nightmare at times. the soundtrack was AMAZING...right up my alley. very current, as alex said.
    anyway, definitely see this.
    i heart driver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i back you to the fullest marie. no artsy fartsy review here. gosling is a beast and would make red state and those crazy fucking christians his bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This friggin movie has been at the top of my queue for a month with "very long wait" next to it. I'm the only one in the world that hasn't watched it. I feel pretty confident that I'll like it more than the Artist.

    ReplyDelete