Saturday, July 7, 2012

Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC


Who the hell's ever heard of Mark Evans?

Turns out he was the original (or close enough) bassist for AC/DC and one hell of a writer to boot.

I picked this up a few days ago to read and I didn't realize at the time that it was a Bazillion Points publication. So I got extra excited to check it out, as Ian Christie has a flawless record. The attention to detail he puts into his books is second to none. Always great printing and finishing techniques.

Dirty Deeds is an exceptionally well-written rock bio. I'd put it just behind I Am Ozzy and SLASH. Evans is clearly a well-read individual, which definitely shines through in his writing. The book is effortless. It's down-to-earth and follows a wonderful pace. Even though he was "coached" by someone on his writing, I'd like to think that what you're reading is ultimately all down to Evans's hard work.

I'm glad Hammer of Doom previously reviewed it as well as let me borrow it, cuz it was a fun read. The content is as you'd expect. The in's and out's of being in a rock band and all the shenanigans that goes alone with it. Writing, recording, touring, drugs, alcohol, and threesomes.

Having said that, there isn't a whole lot of drug talk. Evens doesn't deny it, but he doesn't play it up like Ozzy or SLASH, for instance. It takes a back seat to relentless gigging and the pursuit of stardom.

I agree with Hammer of Doom that it does make you want to open up some other doors to find out what the Youngs are really like. Call me a retard, but I didn't even know that Malcolm was the driving force behind the band. I always figured Angus called the shots. I'd definitely be into reading a Young bio down the road.

Anyway, reading this books gives you even more respect for AC/DC, if you didn't have enough already. These dudes worked HARD to get where they are. And they still put on a freakin awesome show. Angus is unreal!

Read this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment