Tuesday, July 17, 2012

King of Devil's Island


The heat wave has finally driven me inside. I was bored the other day when I came across this film. I'd never heard of it before and thought it might be like a "Sleepers" or "Lord of the Flies". And it is.

This movie is very bleak. It takes place on an island at a juvenile detention camp during a Norwegian winter...not a lot of color to be found. Stellan Skarsgard is the only actor I recognized and he gave his usual performance, which was good but not much of a stretch for him. The main characters are a couple of younger actors that really gave great performances.

I'm not saying I relate to these types of juvenile delinquents...but I use to be friends with kids like these. Movies like these always remind me of my buddies at the Eastpointe Apartments near my home as a kid. They were always in and out of "Juve" for petty crimes like shoplifting or for more serious violent crimes.
So even though we're meant to root for these criminals for rebelling against abuse...I'm doing it because they remind me of my friends that protected me from a bully once and that gave me a stolen Playboy.

The movie starts off a little slow but it really comes together in the end. So this isn't necessarily a "must see" but if you're looking for a good historical movie about rebellion against injustice...check it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment