Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Conan: Born on the Battlefield

I bought all the Dark Horse Conan books in the Nemedian Chronicles series. They're all sitting there, lined up on my shelf awaiting to be read.

I had read most of them already, but I picked up the few books I was missing and I wanted to go through the series chronologically. I kicked it off with Book 0, which charts Conan's birth through maybe his sixteenth snowfall (yuck yuck yuck). Conan's life reads like a Bolt Thrower album. It's fucking awesome.

I liked Born on the Battlefield more on the second reading. It gave me an appreciation for where Conan came from and what shaped him into the king he later became. The early years are probably the most "emotional," if that word is ever relevant to Conan. He feels pain from time to time, especially if a buxom harlot he was banging gets killed or something. But this pre-dates that sort of action. This is a young lad trying to navigate adolescence...all the while being CONAN THE CIMMERIAN. It's a gift and a bit of a curse, some may say.

I love this book and it gets you psyched for what's next to come. The art is top class. The story is well-written and enveloping. Dark Horse did good.

No comments:

Post a Comment