Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Marvin Gaye: What's Going On?


Man, it's fucking hot. I'm sweating like a mofo just writing this.

I watched "Marvin Gaye: What's Going On?" last night on Netflix. It's an hour long doc condensing the singer's fucked up youth, amazing career, crappy dancing and tragic death into a bit size nugget.

It's not the best doc by a long shot. But if you're eating dinner and you dig Marvin Gaye, then why not throw it on? That's what I did. Thing is, I think "What's Going On?" is a masterpiece. I don't have anything else by the man, but that album is monumental. Can't go wrong when you put it on. Such a warm, enveloping sound. The dude had such an ear for pitch, it's crazy. I really dug how in many cases he just went out did what he wanted to do artistically, regardless of the consequences. Shame his cross-dressing, religious psycho dad had to go shoot him when he was only 44.

The doc's just background material. Really what you need to do is go put on the album. Then everything will be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment