Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hitchcock Poster Art


Bad Eye liberated this book from a friend of his and kindly passed it along.

It's a simple book. One spread per film, and it covers every film Hitch directed. Each spread has a single paragraph intro that's generally just a film synopsis, some small reproductions of posters and/or lobby cards, and a full page poster on the opposing side. And that's how it rolls.

It'd have to fuck up royally for me not to enjoy it. It doesn't fuck up royally. It's worth a perusal for sure. However, it's certainly not without faults:

• The intro paragraph offers nothing more than a synopsis. I think a Hitchcock fan would prefer tidbits of information about the film more that was is generally given. If you deleted the intro paragraphs and made the photos on that page even a bit bigger it wouldn't have hindered the book at all. So I think if something can be deleted without determent, you should reconsider what it is you're writing.
• Who the fuck sets body copy in bold?! Use regular or light. Jesus, man. I know it's just one paragraph but get your typography right. That pissed me off more than anything.
• All the posters and lobby cards were culled from one man's collection. While this makes for an amazing collection of Hitchcock poster art(!), it's definitely not the best of the best when it comes to what's AVAILABLE. Very little was shown from Japan, for instance. Little from France. Thankfully, quite a lot from Poland/Czech (b/c they make great Hitchcock posters!). But overall, it's impressive for the collector, but not impressive as a representation of what's out there.

I'm glad it's now in my collection and I'm glad I read it. Thanks, Bad Eye!

I'll leave you with some choice cuts. I gotta run cuz England is about to play their last game in the opening round of the European Cup:

This is for Strangers on a Train. Awesome.

I love this one and it reminds me of a Carcass album cover. It's disturbing.

Again, Carcass-esque. So much to look at. It rules.

Flying Skulls.

Such a unique take on Vertigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment