Sunday, August 26, 2012

How much does your building weigh, Mr. Foster?


Architecture documentaries are generally pretty slick, because if you're passionate enough to care about doing a freakin doc on an architect, chances are that you've got a keen eye for aesthetics to begin with.

This film is a good example of that assertion. The cinematography, the music, the pacing, the editing...it all works in harmony. It's really well done.

I'm not an architecture nerdario so I didn't know who Norman Foster was, but I was clearly familiar with his buildings. And I had admired them from afar. On a recent trip to London I must have seen a half dozen of his works. From the Gherkin to City Hall, Foster's aesthetic is clearly stamped on the London skyline.

I really admire Foster's work ethic. The dude is in his 70's and he flies gliders, has a commercial pilot's license, does bloody marathons on skis in the freezing winter, and runs one of the most influential architecture firms on the planet. He has a global presence and his work will live on for generations after he passes. Oh, and he beat cancer. The guy is phenomenal.

I like that he's not a pretentious art fag, either. He's down to earth, and the kind of artist that junior architects can admire and aspire to be. He's not untouchable. Seems like a cool, approachable figure, who has a passion for buildings.

I think this doc is well worth watching. Go stream it on Netflix. Great stuff.

Millau Viaduct in France

No comments:

Post a Comment