Monday, August 6, 2012

Conan: Rogues in the House


I read this one last night. I freakin flew through it. It just has a raw intensity to it. I wish I could slow down for a second and enjoy the art more, but the story just propels you forward.

The full time artist switches up with this book. I honestly prefer the original dude, but I'm not complaining about Giorello. He has a more painterly technique. It's deeper and looser. At times reminds me more of classic Hammer Horror (which is nostalgic in an appropriate way) and in a couple scenes even reminded me of Glenn Barr. Jiara just looked so angular and stylized. It's not a step forward, but we could call it a lateral move of equal quality. Just different.

This book takes some acerbic barbs against religion, as well as some critiques of modern man. It's typical Howardian commentary. I dig. We learn about trust and so-called barbarism.

I mentioned Conan picked up a couple characters in the last book that seemed to carry forth into the next adventure. In this book we get to see what fate has in store for the loyal Gunderman and the gold-digging Jiara. If people were appalled at how she was treated...fuck that...she got away with her life, which is plenty more than she deserved...

Anyway, I'm gonna end this here so I can tuck into the next installment the Nemedian Chronicles before I retire for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment