Sunday, August 26, 2012

2001: A Space Odyssey


I'd never actually seen Kubrick's, 2001: A Space Odyssey until 2 nights ago. Bizarre.

Actually, "bizarre" is an appropriate word indeed. Not counting the monolith, everything was pretty damn linear and then the third act hits and you're thrown for a bloody loop. I need to do some serious reading about this film to find out what happens in the last portion of the film cuz it's not exactly immediately obvious. I'm interested to find out what's going on...

Nevertheless, as a whole, it was awesome. The effects were Earth-shattering for 1968. Fuck CGI when you've got good ol' smoke and mirrors. And miniatures. Way more realistic.

Of course, Kubrick is highly revered, and deservedly so. If this was his only contribution to cinema, he'd still be the legend that he is. Never mind the fact that he wrote and directed so many more ground-breaking films. A true auteur of his time. Not that you care, but my unpopular opinion is that Eyes Wide Shut is my favorite film of his I've seen. What can I say? That movie fucking floors me. But maybe that says more about me than it needs to...

Kubrick is about desolation. And he serves it up in spades in 2001. At times it reminds me of THX1138. At times it even reminded me of the Seventh Seal. It has a quiet majesty to it. Stoic and incredibly dense. HEAVY.

Good to see Leonard Rossiter making an appearance.

Anyway, I need to do some research on this. There's not a lot to say right now. I'm sure you've seen it if you're reading this. I don't wanna give anything away. Powerful film. Marie loved it, too. I've got Lolita on deck. I have the bloody dvd and haven't watched it yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment