Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Love Witch



I saw the trailer for this a while ago and finally got around to watching it. It looked like a campy take on 70's occult flicks. And that's what it is. But it's not very good. Yet it's still mesmerizing and I watched two hours of it and would probably watch another two hours of it. The lead character, Elaine, had me transfixed.


See why? The director couldn't have picked a better lead. Robinson was born for this role. 

I would like to point out the great lighting in this shot. The film had a great use of saturated color. It was beautiful and very 70's with the edge lighting and the color casts. Reminiscent of Vertigo at times, too. Evidently that's an aspect the director of this flick is known for. 

Those cheeks.

The movie is about a witch who uses sex magick to ensnare her men. She's looking for love. Men die. There are a lot of hot chicks. And plenty of witch-y type things happening. Think Hammer Horror meets Alfred Hitchcock meets Russ Meyer. 

While the film is somewhat satirical and is obviously a pastiche / homage, evidently the feminist undertones and sexism monologues are to be taken seriously (according to something I read on IMDB). 

Anyhow, I didn't think it was a particularly good film. I dunno. It was alright. I think the more I think about it the more I like it actually. Maybe it just took time for it to sink in. But I think I've been bewtiched...

I loved the opening scenes. 

Hell of an outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment