Friday, January 19, 2018

31


I finally watched 31.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was good. It was gnarly. It was filled with tension. So mission probably accomplished. But the reason I'm not totally sure how I feel about it is that I didn't think it really had the Rob Zombie ambience, scope, or X-factor that he normally brings.

It felt low budget compared to all his other stuff. And it didn't have the same feeling you got from House of 1000 Corpses or the Devil's Rejects. 31 seemed to go for the jugular right off the bat and missed the big build up. It felt less psychological and more like a 2nd rate Running Man.

I think people who like shit like Saw would like this. It has a sick premise. But I guess it just didn't feel as sophisticated as his other works. Maybe the cinematography wasn't even up to snuff now that I think about it.

None of 31 was bad...except maybe some of the acting. Y'know, that might have been a strike against it. It didn't have a real strong cast.

I come to expect a LOT from Zombie, and while this would have been a great film for most other horror directors out there, I thought it was just a "good" movie from Zombie.

My ranking of his flicks:

Devil's Rejects (my favorite modern era horror flick)
House of 1000 Corpses
Halloween
The Lords of Salem
Halloween II
31


No comments:

Post a Comment