Thursday, January 25, 2018

Stretch and Bobbito: Radio that Changed Lives


I'd never heard of Stretch Armstrong or Bobbito before I came across this doc. But any time a music doc pops up on Netflix I'll look into it. I'm glad I clicked on this one. It was killer.

Stretch and Bobbito hosted a hugely influential independent hip-hop radio show in the 90's in NY. The list of talent that they had come on and freestyle is nothing short of royalty. And the super cool thing is that almost all of these future legends appeared on their show before they were signed. We're talking Jay-Z, Nas, Wu-Tang, Biggie, Eminem, etc. The biggest of the big.

Anyhow, this show was on from 1am til 5am on Thursdays. People in the know at the time would record the show on their boomboxes. It was gospel. It was dope.

Bobbito actually put this doc together. It's a great nostalgic trip even though I wasn't even aware of the show before I hit play on the doc. But it makes you feel like you were there. Like you had these memories, too. It's really cool like that.

The music is amazing. It's all classic 90's shit. But freestyles you haven't heard before. Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment