Monday, July 1, 2013

the Godfather


I highly doubt I'll watch a movie in 2013 better than the Godfather.

Marie had never seen the film so we rented it on Netflix months ago. We finally put it in the DV-R two nights ago. It blew me away.

I hadn't seen it for over a decade, I'd say. So I was pretty stoked on revisiting it. Long overdue. Goddamn, it is a masterpiece. This obviously isn't shedding any new light on the film, but it has to be said regardless.

It was cool taking so much time off it and coming back to it. I saw it differently. 1972?! Brilliant. Coppola's lens choices were integral to the look of the film. Definitely some Orson Welles influence regarding the cinematography. His DP and Editor were outstanding. Great performances by the whole cast didn't hurt either. I'm looking forward to watching part II. I'll make sure it doesn't take another ten years!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the Godfather is such a good movie that I make an all day event out of it. I will usually make a nice dinner to accompany a great movie. I do this with the Godafather. Have you seen II? That's great too.

    ReplyDelete