Saturday, June 22, 2013

Bones Brigade: An Autobiography


I just got done watching the Bones Brigade documentary.

I really liked this flick. It's almost 2 hours long but it moves along w/ great pacing and it could have easily been 2.5 hours without boring me. Maybe they stopped it just at the right time. Leave the punters wanting more...

Skateboarding's never been my forte. I've always been friends with skaters, been somewhat involved with the culture, but never skated. But I can dig a good documentary about just about anything. I've never fucked a super expensive hooker (or a cheap one, or ANY hooker for the record) but Client 9 was an amazing documentary that I could definitely get into. Back to Bone Brigade...

It's created by Stacy Peralta; one half of the seminal skateboarding company Powell Peralta. He's a film-maker now, and evidently a pretty good one. This doc is well-edited, well-paced, it's got a good soundtrack, good interviews, good historical content, it really covers all the bases you want in a fine documentary film. It gives an overview of the back story, inception, rise, and eventual dissolution of his partnership with Powell while they backed the fabled Bones Brigade. It spans the years from 80–90.

I really dug the interview footage with the Bones Brigade as they are now. Dudes close to 50 in some cases. Real cool guys with a great story. They come across very humble. I loved it.

This is streaming on Netflix. I fully back it.

No comments:

Post a Comment