Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cashback


I've had Cashback in my Netflix queue for years, because I heard it was good, but I didn't know anything about this film. With a poster like this:
and such a lame title, I was sure the movie was going to be something like this.

But I was way off. This is a must watch movie...but I can't really tell you why. Not because I don't want to reveal a surprise ending or ruin your experience. It's nothing like that. With a movie like this, I just don't know where to start. Cashback is a film that's sort of all over the place. It's a drama, it's romantic, funny, there's a sci-fi (ish) element, and there was the potential to add a thriller element as well. If I'm critical of this film, which is quite honestly easy to do, it's that Cashback doesn't really know what it wants to be. Certain segments of Cashback feel like it could be it's own short film and don't really fit in the with the rest of the movie.

While watching the film it's hard not to notice it's pitfalls, and the fact that it doesn't seem to know where it wants to go, but it's easy to overlook these foibles because the plot is so unique and charming. At best, this film shows the potential skills of a budding writer/director Sean Ellis, at worst it's fun movie with some beautiful moments. With all that said, I really liked this film and so did my wife. It's fun, capricious, and I'm really glad it was made.

1 comment:

  1. this film has been in my streaming queue for a while now. sort of a wild card pick that looked like it might be worth it. good to read a review that says it is.

    ReplyDelete