Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cashback


I bumped this up on my list o' movies to watch after Le Matin had such good things to say about it.

I dug it. Not what I expected, but in a good way. People love to classify things and put them into conventional boxes. Something familiar that you can understand. Artists often resist being painted into a corner. It'll never change. Le Matin had a hard time backing this film into a corner. What is it? I guess if I had to go on record I'd say it was a dry English romantic comedy. But that makes it sound shittier than it is.

At times it reminded me of Trainspotting (British actor doing a VO about modern mundane society). And at times it reminded me of Brick (main character's stoic performance). But those are both tangential comparisons.

It's its own thing, which is cool. It's a fun, very linear story about life, love, regret. It's quirky.

I'm never really looking for "light entertainment," but this one hit the spot.

2 comments:

  1. And what about the boobs?!?
    Seriously, I'm glad you appreciated it enough to watch it. I was kind of surprised they didn't deal with the 'other' person who could freeze time. Seemed like that coud be its own story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. copious boobage. always into that.

    SPOILER ALERT:
    maybe we read into it differently, though. the dude said that people have many different ways of dealing with time and coping with an 8 hour shift at work, for instance. his way was to pause time. i didn't take that literally. i thought it was all imagined. his coping mechanism. so the other person who could do it...didn't really matter cuz it was in his mind anyway. that's my take-away.

    ReplyDelete