Sunday, July 14, 2013

Kill Bill Vol. 1


Another flick I hadn't seen since it's release. I got the disc from Netflix and revisited it to see if I still held the same opinion.

I liked it better the second time around, but I still feel it's easily the weakest Tarantino film by a long shot. I consider most of his films bordering on masterpieces, with two or three of them easily holding that lofty classification. But to me, Kill Bill is bottom of the list. Now, being the bottom of a list of masterpieces is still fucking good though!

And Kill Bill is good. It's just missing something. I don't know what. I don't think the dialogue is up to Quentin's typically high bar. It's just not as compelling. Casting isn't as good, either.

But anyway, I did like it more this time than I did upon its release. I'll be getting Vol. 2 in the mail next week so we'll see how that stacks up. If I recall, that was better than the first one.

Sonny Chiba steals the show for me. His banter with the other guy in the restaurant is good stuff.

The 5, 6, 7, 8's rule:


1 comment:

  1. Boo, hiss. It's one of his top three films.

    I didn't like KBII in the theater, but I ended up enjoying it when I saw it again. How's that for a story!

    ReplyDelete