Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Straight Outa Compton


Got around to watching the Straight Outta Compton Director's Cut on Amazon.

It was decent. A very palatable big budget Hollywood version of N.W.A.'s story. Definitely seemed pretty soft around the edges. Not nearly as dangerous or sketchy as N.W.A.'s early image. I was expecting something darker.

Too much sunshine.

I liked watching it cuz I learned a lot about the internal politics of the band. I always thought Cube was the focal point of N.W.A., but the movie really paints Eazy as the main guy. Eazy definitely had the charisma, and clearly some level of business/marketing sense.

If you're in your mid to late thirties then you probably grew up on N.W.A. and you should watch this for a historical perspective. Biased of course, but still. But if you don't give a crap about N.W.A. then I'd stay away. It's kinda vanilla Hollywood stuff. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment