Saturday, February 6, 2016

Only Death Is Real


Bazillion Points Publishing rules. I have a lot of their books and they're always exceptionally well made. Such great production value. I bought this when it came out about five or six years ago, and hadn't re-read it since then. So I gave it another reading. It was so fucking good second time though. Practically just as awesome as the first time. 

Only Death Is Real recounts the brief history of Hellhammer in pretty incredible detail. I have such a shitty memory, I have no idea how Tom can remember all this crap. It took place over 30 years ago. But I'm glad he documented it because it makes for a really inspiring read. 

Like I said, the quality of the book is absolutely top notch. But the content is what set it apart. Tom writes earnestly and honestly. It's a very passionate story of young outcasts coming-of-age in a society they shunned. A lot of people who are deeply into punk or metal have that understanding. That kinship and shared experiences that arises out of hating the world and taking solace in music. It's all right here. Doesn't matter if you like Hellhammer. I don't. I love Celtic Frost but Hellhammer doesn't do anything for me. Makes no difference. It's about the tale, the drive, the perseverance, and the triumph (of death). 

It's a very inspirational book for anyone in band especially. Great read. I really can't recommend it enough. If you've ever believed in something or wanted something that other people didn't believe you could accomplish...this is the book for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment