Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Generation Iron


Pickle reminded me that Generation Iron was on Netflix so I gave it a watch.

I was impressed by the opening credits. I could tell right off the bat that this wasn't some bullshit shoestring budget flick thrown together by a hack. It seemed to have high production values and a definite artistic perspective.

It was well edited and the score was good. I have no real beef with the flick. But somehow it didn't quite live up to the high expectation that I set when the credits started to roll. I dunno. Everything in the flick just didn't seem...essential.

The movie loosely follows a half dozen bodybuilders as they gear up for the 2012(?) Mr. Olympia competition in Vegas. It's mostly about their psyche. There's banter back and forth between them. But it's nothing too malicious or anything. The crew just follow them around, do interviews at their gyms, and generally just discuss their back story and what it means to be Mr. O.

I think I was expecting something a bit more historical and that's why I didn't think it was a complete knock out. The flick has a narrow scope and I think broadening that a little bit to include more of the history and definitely more of their training/diet regimens would have been great. If there's a Director's cut or a "cut for meatheads" then I think that'd be much better than the current theatrical cut.

If you lift this is a mandatory watch just like Pumping Iron is.

Get the blood in it.

 
the Golden Era was way cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment