Sunday, August 31, 2014

the Wicker Man


The sun went down and I grabbed Marie to watch it with me for her first time. I've seen it a bunch of times and love it. I pick up new details each time. More dialogue, more nuances.

I think the acting is even better than I remembered, too. Subtle and convincing.

The air of conspiracy is harrowing. The pagan gods vs Christian god is interesting. The film does a good job at holding up a mirror to the absurdities of all religions, pantheistic as well as monotheistic. It's truly a great horror film. No monsters. No blood. Just the most evil creature of all...mankind. Mankind and superstitions. Fuckin a. A nightmarish combination if ever there was one.

The way the film is told through music is actually pretty cool. It's only as campy as you let it be. If you absorb yourself in Summerisle...it's just part of the story. Part of the village. It's an interesting storytelling technique to employ for a horror film especially.

Marie was digging it until the final chapter. The actual wicker man sacrifice. Just too grounded in reality for her these days. Torture and religious persecution and whatnot. It's pretty grim. Very well acted, though.

I still love it. The Wicker Man is a very unique, haunting, horror film. Just how I like em.

How he didn't succumb to her seduction is beyond me.

Eyes Wide Shut and the Wicker Man: creepy masks, creepy films.


No comments:

Post a Comment