Thursday, August 7, 2014

Conan: Volume 15 the Nightmare of the Shallows


The story of Conan and his lover, Belit, continues in Volume 15 of the Dark Horse books.

Couple different artists in this tome. Dug the first one more. I prefer when Conan's treated with more realism, rather than with an abstracted comic-book style approach.

This one is closer to a return to form. Writing was good, but I'm just not into reading about Belit this much. Part of the attraction to me is that you never know what's going to happen. What kind of crazy ass predicament will the young warrior find himself in. What woman will he bed? And will he decapitate? I prefer to think of Conan as someone who doesn't really fall in love. I'm not into humanizing him. I want him to scale 200 ft walls with his bare hands, climb through a window, and bang a king's daughter or something. Then do it all over again in a different town, with a different daughter, facing a plethora of magical beasts along the way.

Anyway, this was pretty good. I really need to buy that Robert E. Howard Conan anthology.

Next TPB I want to see more decapitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment