Sunday, May 11, 2014

I Vitelloni


Fellini's third film, I Vitelloni. I hadn't seen it in years so I bust out the DVD and watched it last night. It's good stuff, man. It's just about some dudes hanging out. Being dudes. And dealing with shit.

The main characters are all in their late 20s and early 30s. But in small town Italy in the 50's...well, things are different. Most of them live with their parents and are unemployed. I don't know how the hell they have any money to live...but I don't know mid century provincial Italian culture. They're not terribly mature for their age. Anyway, it's a film about friends, romance, responsibility, and intrinsic passion. Each cat has a different motivation. Each cat comes from a different angle. But they support each other like friends do.

They all come to turning points in their lives. And this movie is about those people and those events.

It's quintessential Fellini. The editing, the cinematography, the story...it's really good stuff. It's not as "wacky" as some later Fellini stuff is, though. It's a somewhat autobiographical tale that's told beautifully.

I wouldn't casually recommend this, though. You either like Fellini and 50's Italian cinema or you don't.



No comments:

Post a Comment