Saturday, January 18, 2014

Movies...



In a perfect world I'd have more time to put pen to paper and post more often on this blog. Truth is I don't always have the time I need to knock out some decent posts. The troubles I have, no time to blog. The greatest generation has nothing on me...

Here's a couple quick notes...

Drinking Buddies. Heard good things about it. Good cast and a film about some people who work in a micro brewery? Sounds great! What's not to like? Well...the characters. They all kind of sucked. Not a bad film, I just wasn't rooting for any of them. 

MUD. I really liked this movie. It kind of reminded me of Winter's Bone (which I dug) meets Stand By Me. I was a little off put by the PG-13 rating, but don't let that bother you. It's a solid movie. I'm surprised I'm typing this, but Matthew Mcconaughey's movies are almost becoming a must watch. Killer Joe, Dallas Buyers Club, The Wolf of Wall Street...

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. I side with the Prez on his negative view of movies that use too much CGI. So that's a strike against it for sure, but I will say the level of detail Jackson puts in these movies is damn impressive. Even down to the links of the chains that were specifically created by the dwarves...nerdy I know, but I noticed. It was a pretty impressive movie to watch in 3D (which I normally don't like) and in IMAX...the two Manhattans I had in the theater might of helped some too.

Elysium. Noting what I said above about my disdain for CGI, I will say Blomkamp does it right in his movies. Those robots looked real. I was really looking forward to this movie, I loved District 9, check that movie out for sure, but I was somewhat disappointed by Elysium. I think I expected too much. The movie was fine and I would recommend checking it out, but the plot was just a little too cookie cutter for me. Visuals were awesome, but the story lacked. The social commentary was there, but it was a little too heavy handed this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment