Friday, December 13, 2013

Best of 2013



I read a shockingly small amount of books this year. I was reading a lot of periodicals, and with tearing my ACL, getting surgery, starting a new band, buying and selling houses, etc...I just haven't had that much freakin time for film and books! Anyway, here are my lists. Honestly a bit anti-climactic for 2013.

Top 5 books I read in 2013:
Richard Branson: Losing My Virginity
The Conqueror Worms
Panther Baby
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 4-Hour Work-Week

Top 5 comics I read in 2013:
Sláine: The Horned God
Criminal: The Deluxe Edition Volume 2
Abandon the Old in Tokyo
Good-Bye
Black Blizzard

Top 5 documentaries I watched in 2013:
Fastest
Searching for Sugarman
The Four Year Plan
The Story of Film
Truth in 24 II

Top 5 Biker Movies I watched in 2013:
The Loveless
The Hard Ride
Chrome & Hot Leather
The PeaceKillers
Run, Angel, Run

Top 5 movies I watched in 2013:
The Skin I Live In
2046
Lost in Translation
Mr. Nice
The Loveless

Top 10 albums I got in 2013:
Anathema: Weather Systems
Autopsy: The Headless Ritual (best DM album. best artwork!)
Chelsea Wolfe: Pain is Beauty
Vastum: Patricidal Lust
R.A. The Rugged Man: Legends Never Die
Rhymefest: El Che
Zodiac: A Hiding Place
Saprogenic: Expanding Towards Collapsed Lungs
Watain: The Wild Hunt
Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions: Through the Devil Softly


If you take anything away from this whole list, make it the top 5 albums I listed as well as the top 5 comics. 

Song of the year:
Anathema: Untouchable Parts 1 AND 2.


3 comments:

  1. EDIT: Agnes Obel "Aventine" is bumping Hope Sandoval off the list and ascending above Zodiac to take the #7 spot. Hat tip to Matt for sharing the album with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to checking this stuff in depth over the next two weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le Matin, Agnes Obel, Chelsea Wolfe and Anathema might be more up your alley than say...Saprogenic or Vastum. But that's my list. I saw you mention Kanye in your list...that dude's awful. Check out Rhymefest and RA the Rugged Man's new records, man. That's some ill shit, boyeee!

    ReplyDelete