Friday, March 1, 2013

the Hurt Locker


Just watched this for the first time. I dunno. Wasn't as good as I had expected.

I'm not a war movie junkie by any means, but I still like a good war film from time to time. I believe this won Best Picture at the Academy Awards. I don't remember what else came out that year but I gotta believe there was something better. It's not that the Hurt Locker wasn't good. It was. It's just that it wasn't THAT good. But fuck the Oscars anyway; it's just a bunch of smoke being blown up people's asses.

Anyway, the cinematography was good. I dug the hand-held documentary style they achieved. It was a very real film. I'll give it that. Thankfully I've never been in combat, but this flick appears to be a legitimate portrayal. Or at least a legitimate glimpse into war in Iraq.

Fuck that. Fuck war. How any of my friends made it back in one piece is beyond me. Rolling the dice every freakin day.

Acting was good. Script was good.

There's hardly any music in the film. It's sparse and low-key. Unobtrusive.

My only gripe is that believe it or not, I felt like it could have been MORE dramatic. They could have dug a bit deeper to illicit emotion and empathy from the viewer. You have to see it to know what I'm talking about. I looks like it would be a nail-biter, but it wasn't really. Only for brief moments.

You want a nail-biter? Watch Le Trou.

So, this was good, but didn't blow me away. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment