Friday, March 29, 2013

Searching for Sugarman


Marie and Amy watched Searching for Sugarman at the Main last week. They came back with glowing reviews. I added it to my queue and accidentally added it to the top spot. I was surprised when it came in the mail, but interested to watch it nonetheless. I was supposed to get The Loveless. But I digress...

I had heard of Rodriguez because a friend of mine and Marie's dated his youngest daughter, Reagan. But other than testimony from one person that Rodriguez was an amazing forgotten Detroit artist, I hadn't heard anything else. Never heard anyone else talk about him and never heard his music. Forgot about him.

Turns out South Africa didn't forget about him, that's for damn sure. I can't really get into the story of the documentary because that would ruin the whole thing. It's a surprising and eventful journey as a couple of men search for their elusive folk-hero. The story is filled with so many "what if's". It's amazing how everything comes together. And how certain things didn't come together. You'll see it. It's worth it.

The film is well done. Good pacing. Good editing. The soundtrack really let the music breathe when it needed to (all Rodriguez songs, of course). Archival footage mixed with recent interviews. Very little in the way of reconstruction.

Cold Fact sales will be going through the roof due to this film. Obv.

I'll buy it...



No comments:

Post a Comment