Saturday, January 16, 2016

Conan: Shadows over Kush


Just read the newest Conan TPB from Dark Horse. Another grande story, with specters of Conan's corsair past haunting our long-haired hero. Wizards, slaves, torture, decapitation, whores, kings, peasants, and treasure. All there.

Wasn't overly keen on some of the art. I prefer Conan to be depicted as a massive Dorian Yates looking motherfucker or a Muscle Beach era Arnold. But he looked more like an effeminate Arnold when he was 19 in some of these drawings. Not the larger-than-life hulking beast we all know Conan was. ;) So I wasn't hip to that slightly girly, young vibe.

There was a decidedly different tone to some of the dialogue. Conan seemed a little wittier and more sarcastic than normal. It was quite amusing. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

I found the denouement to the story a bit too swift. I think it could have unfolded over a few more pages. But that's fine.

I hope the next TPB picks up where this one left off, because I'm eager to see what comes of his next foray with his new tongue-less blonde bombshell and pack of freebooters.

No comments:

Post a Comment