Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Conan: The Song of Bêlit


Marie and I were in Ann Arbor last week and we popped into the Vault of Midnight comic book store. Don't get out there much but when I do it's a treat. It's a good spot, man. I picked up the latest Walking Dead TPB and the latest Conan hardcover; volume 16.

This is an emotional one, fellas. It's the conclusion in the Queen of the Black Coast saga. That can only mean one thing.

It's a good read. Lots of emotional ups and downs but Conan faces them the only way he knows. By decapitating people. I believe there're are some foes that he even cleaves right in half. Good stuff.

The writing is good but the art isn't my favorite. I dunno, man, you get used to one way of visualizing Conan then it gets thrown out of whack when someone else picks up the pencil. It's a little jarring at first but then you get used to it. It's not sub-par...just different, I guess.

This is one hell of a ride, though. Sorcery, pirates, evil beasts, blood, fire, death. It's packed to gills with riches and witches.

I'd be hard-pressed not to enthusiastically recommend any book in the Conan of Cimmeria series. I'm looking forward to re-reading them in one big week-long binge or something. Maybe when/if the 30th book comes out I'll re-read them all one book a day for a whole month.

Hail the king.

No comments:

Post a Comment