Monday, December 22, 2014

The Great Escape


Seriously, how amazing is this movie? I just added the original book to my Amazon cart. I'm sure I'll read that...after I read Papillon. ;)

I got the Blu-Ray for x-mas last year and I finally got around to watching it as well as checking out the extras. As I'm sure you know, The Great Escape is based on a true story. Although Sturges obviously took some liberties for the sake of the silver screen, it's still actually very accurate. The shit in the movie that they do...it's fucking amazing but it was pulled off by the soldiers in the camp. It's incredible.

Just like Papillon, movies from the 60's sure make prison and war look awfully fucking romantic and bad-ass. Like it wasn't anything to be in a prison camp or stuck in the cooler for a month. Ain't no thang. Well, when you're Steve McQueen everything looks pretty effortless...so...

All-star cast. Three hours of suspense. If you haven't seen it, seriously bro, get on it.

Great cinematography. Good editing. Very classic score for the era. It's perfect for what it is.

Except for the accents...yeah...some pretty fucking bad accents going on here. But we can ignore that.

Essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment